Also known as Adyar Cancer Institute, Cancer Institute (WIA) became the Regional Cancer Centre in 1974.
In 1974, it was declared as “Centre of Excellence” by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The hospital has many firsts in its credit, including
In 1956, first cobalt-60 teletherapy unit in the entire South East Asia was installed at the Institute.
In 1970, the first medical oncology unit in the country started functioning at the Cancer Institute (WIA).
In 1976, the hospital has introduced the first linear accelerator in India.
In 2009, the first Rapid Arc Therapy facility in India.
It has a first medical school in India which offers degrees in various sub-specialties of oncology by Medical Council of India.
The Institute has hospital, research division, division of preventive oncology and college of oncological sciences.
Of the 535 beds, 40% are paying beds and remaining are general beds where patients are boarded free of cost.